How many things can you get done in 30 minutes? What would you do? Where would you start? How would you prioritize what you do within that time? The Power of a Half Hour – Take Back Your Life Thirty Minutes at A Time by Tommy Barnett explores that notion.
Why a half hour? Mr. Barnett states that while reading the Bible he was intrigued to discover that there was only one reference to time as we know it. Revelations 8:1 states “when the Lamb opened the seventh seal, there was silence in heaven for about half an hour.” “Many people think of a half hour as a minimal or meaningless gap in time, downtime to catch your breath between periods of major effort.” As a minister, his perspective concerning time is expressed with a pressing sense of urgency. To help guide or “shepherd” others into the kingdom of God. As he puts it “thirty minutes can wreck or redeem a life, determine the difference between success and failure; while directing and shaping your future.” It’s all in the decisions that you make.
Without being preached to you are being asked to think and act decisively; about how, who and when you spend your time. At the end of the book you will find an action plan, a devotional, a small group study guide and other support materials. They are all designed to help you (individually or in a small group setting) delve deeper into the daily reading assignments.
- Discern HOW you spend your time – You need balance in your life. Make time to pursue the things that matter to you. “For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.” (Matt. 6:21). Be intentional!
- Discern WHO you spend your time with – There are some people you just don’t need to be around. These human vampires suck the very life out of you with their constant negativity and then move on to their next victim. Choose people who can make a difference in your life and vice versa.
- Discern WHEN you choose to insert something into your schedule – Everyone gets the same 24 hours each day. Make yours count! While scheduling your time remember to be open and flexible to the unforeseen opportunities. This concept is a time management tool to help you become the best you can become in the future.
THOUGHTS for your SOUL:
- “Time is free, but it’s priceless. You can’t own it, but you can use it. You can’t keep it, but you can spend it. Once you’ve lost it, you can never get it back.” -Harvey Mackay.
- “Nobody can eliminate the results of time well invested.”
- “We get so busy and distracted that it’s not until we stop some of our normal activities that we really actually realize what needs to change and how to make those changes.”
Does it matter if it is 15 minutes, 30 minutes or even an hour? And why does that matter? It matters because time is the one commodity you cannot get or make more of…when it’s gone, it’s gone! The author states that “even in the space of time of a half hour, amazing things can happen in your life.” For example, a year from now you will chronologically be a year older but how will your personal and professional growth be measured during that time? What matters is that you start doing something today. You want to make the most of the “nowness” and immediacy of the moment.
Let’s BOND over BOOKS rates The Power of a Half Hour as MELODICALLY MEANINGFUL (151-300 pgs)…just the right mixture of content and pages.
Disclaimer: This book was received for free from the WaterbrookMultnomah Publishing Group for this review.