“One out of every five Scriptures in the Bible contains a number… The world has reached a stage in history when everyone is number conscious.” BIBLICAL MATHEMATICS – Keys to Scripture Numerics. The Significance of Scripture Numbers as Revealed in the Word of God by Dr. Ed F. Vallowe breaks everything down to the least common denominator.
Since the beginning of time, numbers have held a very important place in almost every aspect of history. The use of the Hebrew (Old Testament) and the Greek (New Testament) numeric values are important in deciphering the Biblical code because “The value of a Hebrew or Greek letter or word is the sum of its numeric and place values.” So, what does this all mean?
According to BIBLICAL MATHEMATICS each number has a unique significance because “Numbers are important to having a working knowledge of the Bible.” The actual number and the amount of times a particular number appears in the Bible is not by accident. For example, “The first use of a number in Scripture almost invariably gives the clue to its spiritual meaning… Numbers are used to convey spiritual truths in at least three ways”:
- “By the actual use of a number.”
- “By the number of times a special word or phrase is used by the Holy Spirit.”
- “By the gematria or numerical value of a word or phrase.”
Everybody has a “favorite” number? The Bible has “favorite” numbers too. While reading we learn of a few like, “Why the numbers seven and ten found so often in books of prophecy like Daniel and Revelation if they are without significance?” Or “Why is the number three associated so often with the resurrection of the body if it has no significance at all?” The author also discusses the numbers 1-40 along with 16 additional numbers.
- Seven represents – Completeness, Spiritual, Perfection. (It is the combination of the perfect world number four and perfect divine number three).
- Ten represents – Testimony, Law and Responsibility. (It is the sum of the world number four and six the number of man).
- Three represents – Resurrection, Divine Completeness and Perfection. (It is the number of the Trinity and is the first of the four perfect numbers).
THOUGHTS for your SOUL:
- The name given to our Lord Jesus, in Greek terms, has the numeric value of 888. The number 888 represents “The First Resurrection of the Saints… and we see God using the number to confirm the truth of His Word.”
- “One of its books is called “Numbers.” It is not called by that name simply because it contains the numbering of the children of Israel, but because of the significance of the numbers used in it.
BIBLICAL MATHEMATICS is quite interesting and you don’t have to be a Bible scholar to appreciate it, all you need is an open mind. Sometimes it is challenging to follow the flow, but it is a great companion book to any Bible study class. The perspective the late Dr. Vallowe provides enables you to read the Bible in a different way. Once you read BIBLICAL MATHEMATICS you will never read the Bible the same way again.
Let’s BOND over BOOKS rates BIBLICAL MATHEMATICS as MELODICALLY MEANINGFUL (151-300 pages)…just the right mixture of content and pages.